- As an integral part of the Ministry of Justice, Crown counsel are independent officers of the court and support a fair and effective justice system.
- Crown counsel are protected from outside influence by the Crown Counsel Act, and do not represent the police or victim, they represent the community as a whole.
- Crown counsel ensure the prosecution process is fair to all, evidence is presented thoroughly and accurately, and the independence and integrity of the justice process is maintained and justice is done in a fair, impartial, efficient and respectful manner.
- There are 460 full time Crown prosecutors working in 40 locations throughout the province.
- Reports to Crown counsel: In 2015-16, there were 69,264 report to Crown council cases (RCCs), a 5.5% increase on the previous fiscal year.
- 80% of the charge assessments are completed within 15 days of receipt.
- Just over 58,000 accused were related to criminal matters that concluded in fiscal 2015-16, a 5.6% increase from the previous fiscal year.
- The percentage of files that concluded early (at or before arraignment) increased from 66.1% in 2013-14 to 73.4% in 2015-16.
- The average number of days for a file to conclude has decreased from 118 days in 2013-14 to 105 days in 2015-16.
Ministry of JusticeGovernment Communications and Public Engagement