B.C. is becoming known as a world leader in using technology and innovation to make justice more accessible, more affordable, less complex, and resolve disputes earlier.
The Province supports opportunities to transform the justice system and challenge assumptions about traditional means of delivering services.
Innovative use of technology is improving the quality and timeliness of information available to those in need of it – whether citizens, service providers or those who manage the system.
- For more than a decade, Court Services Online has provided the public with 24/7 access to search of civil court files.
- Court Services Online has been updated to include online services such as civil document e-filing and criminal file e-search: Every year 160,000 document packages that can contain multiple documents are e-filed for Supreme Court Civil and Small Claims documents.
- Each year there are about 90,000 civil e-searches and 2.0 million criminal or traffic e-searches conducted.
- Daily Court Lists provide schedules for Provincial Court and Supreme Court Chambers and is free of charge.
- Other investments in digital technology to increase access to justice include:
- Launch of the Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT) in 2016 – Canada’s first-ever online tribunal with 24/7 access to justice to resolve strata disputes online and out of court.
- The expansion of CRT into small claims disputes will happen in spring 2017.