As Canada’s Asia Pacific Gateway, British Columbia is a strong supporter of free trade and the many benefits that free-trade agreements bring for B.C. businesses.
Free-trade agreements remove impediments to trade and create a safer and more dependable business environment for businesses, workers and investors. By creating a more open and stable marketplace, the improved flow of goods and services will allow B.C. companies to grow their business and create new jobs for British Columbians.
- British Columbia continues to be a strong supporter of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP).
- B.C. has focused on diversifying the economy and is committed to helping B.C. companies expand their business by increasing exports.
- As Canada’s Pacific Gateway, British Columbia would benefit from increased bilateral trade between North America and other TPP markets, spurring economic growth and job creation here at home.
- The greatest opportunities for B.C. businesses come in sectors like seafood, agrifoods, forestry, technology and manufactured goods, where high tariffs that currently exist would be reduced or eliminated.
- B.C. will work with the Government of Canada to continue advocating the benefits of free trade and stay apprised of any next steps or new opportunities relating to trade in the Asia-Pacific region.
For more detailed information on the Trans-Pacific Partnership, visit: www.international.gc.ca/TPP
Media RelationsMinistry of International Trade
and Responsible for Asia Pacific Strategy and Multiculturalism