Edition: November 4, 2013: Issue 44
Issue 13-44: Highlights
Small Business in British Columbia - B.C.’s small businesses generated approximately 26% of the province’s GDP in 2012, slightly higher than the national average of 25%.
Economy - Receipts at British Columbia’s food services and drinking places rose 1.6% (seasonally adjusted) in August.
Internet Usage - In 2012, 87% of British Columbians over the age of 16 used the Internet for personal use, up slightly (+1 percentage point) from 2010.
Online Shopping - In 2012, British Columbians placed 25.6 million electronic orders valued at $3.0 billion, an increase of 12.8% compared to 2010.
The Nation - Canada’s gross domestic product (GDP) rose 0.3% (seasonally adjusted) in August, building on gains made in July (+0.6%).
From the Infoline blog
British Columbia Small Business Profile 2013 - Highlights: In 2012, small businesses accounted for 98% of all businesses operating within the province. There were 83.5 small businesses per 1,000 people in B.C., the highest per capita figure of any province and well above the national average of 69.0 small businesses per 1,000 people. Read More >>
Input Indicators of the British Columbia High Technology Sector: 2013 Edition Highlights from education, business, government, external, labour, post-secondary outcomes, and more, including a link to the full report. Read More >>
- Apprenticeship Student Outcomes (APPSO) Survey
- Baccalaureate Graduate Survey
- BC Hydro Workforce Profile Survey
- BC Labour Market Agreement Outcomes Survey
- BC Public Service Exit Survey
- Developmental Student Outcomes (DEVSO) Survey
- Diploma, Associate Degree, and Certificate Student Outcomes (DACSO) Survey
- FrontCounter BC Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Application Process Survey
- 360° Tool
- Wildfire Management Branch - 2013 Stakeholder Satisfaction Survey
You can read more about any of these by visiting our Current and Recent Surveys page.
- Small business accounts for 26% of economic activity in B.C. in 2012
- Personal Internet usage rises to 87% in 2012
- Value of online shopping in B.C. climbs 12.8% in 2012
Did You Know
In 2013, B.C. was home to 51 businesses engaged in manufacturing chocolate and chocolate confections. Data Source: Statistics Canada
@BCStats on Twitter
- The 2013 edition of the British Columbia Small Business Profile is now available
- The 2013 edition of the Input Indicators of the British Columbia High Technology Sector is now available
Follow @BCStats on Twitter