Edition: September 16, 2013: Issue 37
Issue 13-37: Highlights
National Household Survey - More than two-thirds (69%) of British Columbians aged 15 years and older earned employment income in 2010, only marginally lower than the national average (70%).
The Economy - Municipal authorities in British Columbia issued $816.2 million (seasonally adjusted) in building permits in July, down 8.2% from the previous month.
Education - In 2013/2014, average undergraduate tuition fees for Canadian full-time students in British Columbia were $5,029, an increase of 2.0% over the previous year.
Caregiving - In 2012, about 27% of British Columbians aged 15 years and older provided care to a friend or family member due to age, health condition, and/or disability.
On May 8th, 2013, Statistics Canada released data on the Aboriginal population in Canada from the National Household Survey (NHS). Based on this data, 1,400,685 individuals in Canada had an Aboriginal Identity which represented 4.3 percent of the nation’s population. Among the provinces, Manitoba had the largest proportion of Aboriginal population at 16.7 percent followed by Saskatchewan at 15.6 percent. Newfoundland and Labrador had 7.1 percent while Alberta and British Columbia were closely behind at 6.2 percent and 5.4 percent respectively.
Of the 232,290 Aboriginal people in B.C., 67 percent were First Nations (North American Indian) single identity while 30 percent were Métis, and just under one percent was Inuk (Inuit). The rest of the Aboriginal people identified themselves as having multiple Aboriginal identities.
- Apprenticeship Student Outcomes (APPSO) Survey
- Baccalaureate Graduate Survey
- BC Hydro Workforce Profile Survey
- BC Labour Market Agreement Outcomes Survey
- BC Public Service Exit Survey
- BC Transit Work Environment Survey 2013
- Developmental Student Outcomes (DEVSO) Survey
- Diploma, Associate Degree, and Certificate Student Outcomes (DACSO) Survey
- FrontCounter BC Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Application Process Survey
- Multi-Topic Questionnaire 2013
- 360° Tool
- Wildfire Management Branch Work Environment Survey 2013
You can read more about any of these by visiting our Current and Recent Surveys page.
- B.C.’s median employment income at $30,085 in 2010
- Employment income accounted for 17% of total income earned by B.C. seniors in 2010
- About 27% of British Columbians were caregivers in 2012
Did You Know
In 2013, 19% of Canadian drivers admitted to texting or using social media while driving. Data Source: Ipsos Global