Issue 13-38: Highlights
National Household Survey - An estimated 70% of households in British Columbia owned their dwellings in May of 2011.
Prices - Consumer prices in the province inched down (-0.1%, year over year) in August, marking the fifth straight month in which the overall price level has either declined or been flat.
The Economy - Manufacturers in British Columbia saw sales improve 1.0% (seasonally adjusted) in July following a sharp drop (-4.6%) during the previous month.
Tourism - Traveller entries to British Columbia increased 1.0% (seasonally adjusted) between June and July.
British Columbians Give a Buck: Charitable Donations
The amount of money donated to charities in B.C. was rising steadily prior to the economic downturn in 2008, but difficult economic circumstances appear to have caused potential donors to reduce their charitable contributions. While donations started to climb again in 2010, as of 2011, they still had not recovered fully to pre-downturn levels.
Statistics Canada taxfiler data shows that in 2011, approximately 22 percent of British Columbia taxfilers donated money to a charity, totalling around $1.3 billion. The median donation (that is, the value at which half gave more and half gave less) was $370. Not too surprisingly, the amount donated tends to be higher from those people with higher incomes. The average donation from those donors earning greater than $80,000 was around $3,800, compared to just over $600 for those with an annual income less than $20,000.
- Apprenticeship Student Outcomes (APPSO) Survey
- Baccalaureate Graduate Survey
- BC Hydro Workforce Profile Survey
- BC Labour Market Agreement Outcomes Survey
- BC Public Service Exit Survey
- BC Public Servive Work Environment Survey 2013
- BC Transit Work Environment Survey 2013
- Developmental Student Outcomes (DEVSO) Survey
- Diploma, Associate Degree, and Certificate Student Outcomes (DACSO) Survey
- FrontCounter BC Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Liquor Distribution Branch Work Environment Survey 2013
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Application Process Survey
- Multi-Topic Questionnaire 2013
- 360° Tool
- Voter List Quality Study
You can read more about any of these by visiting our Current and Recent Surveys page.
- Seven out of ten British Columbia households are homeowners
- British Columbia’s Consumer Price Index inches down in August
- Manufacturing shipments up 1.0% in July
Did You Know
Wood and wood pellets accounted for 6% of total household energy use in British Columbia in 2011 - half the national average (12%). Data Source: Statistics Canada