Issue 13-36: Highlights
Labour Force - In August, employment in B.C. increased by 6,200 jobs (seasonally adjusted), while unemployment fell by 1,000. As a result, the unemployment rate declined 0.1 percentage points to 6.6%.
Aboriginal Population - The unemployment rate (3-month moving average, unadjusted) of the Aboriginal population declined for the third month in a row in August, falling 1.5 percentage points to 12.8%.
Immigrant Population - The unemployment rate (3-month moving average, unadjusted) for the immigrant population remained relatively unchanged in August, at 7.0%.
The Economy - In July, the value of B.C.’s commodity exports rose 1.4% (seasonally adjusted), rebounding somewhat from a 5.8% drop in June.
Inter-provincial employment trends - In 2009, an estimated 45,347 people working in British Columbia were actually residents of other provinces.
Labour productivity - Labour productivity (GDP per hour worked) in the Canadian business sector increased significantly (+0.5%, seasonally adjusted) in the second quarter.
- Apprenticeship Student Outcomes (APPSO) Survey
- Baccalaureate Graduate Survey
- BC Hydro Workforce Profile Survey
- BC Labour Market Agreement Outcomes Survey
- BC Public Service Exit Survey
- BC Transit Work Environment Survey 2013
- Developmental Student Outcomes (DEVSO) Survey
- Diploma, Associate Degree, and Certificate Student Outcomes (DACSO) Survey
- FrontCounter BC Customer Satisfaction Survey
- Long Term Disability (LTD) Application Process Survey
- Multi-Topic Questionnaire 2013
- 360° Tool
- Wildlife Management Branch Work Environment Survey 2013
You can read more about any of these by visiting our Current and Recent Surveys page.
- British Columbia’s unemployment rate inches down to 6.6% in August
- B.C. product exports rise 1.4% in July; exports to the US up 5.5%
- The number of British Columbians working in other provinces increased 31.0% between 2004 and 2009
Released last week by BC Stats
- Labour Force Statistics, August 2013
- Earnings and Employment Trends, August 2013
- No periodical releases
- National Household Survey - Income, Earnings, Housing Affordability to be released by Statistics Canada on Wednesday, September 11
Did You Know
Eight out of ten elementary school and kindergarten teachers in Canada are women. Data Source: Statistics Canada