VICTORIA - British Columbia celebrates a truly significant milestone: the centennial birthday of the BC Forest Service.
One hundred years ago today, the Province created the first government agency to preserve B.C.'s forests through forest fire prevention, use of timber management areas, tree planting and the diversification of tree-growing.
Since Feb. 27, 1912, the BC Forest Service has been in charge of managing and protecting the province's forests and range lands. The dedication and hard work of the men and women of the BC Forest Service have resulted in 100 years of excellent forest stewardship in British Columbia.
The BC Forest Service has marked many milestones over the past 10 decades, including:
- 1927 - Opening of one of the province's first experimental forest nurseries in Victoria.
- 1938 - Planting the one-millionth tree.
- 1940s - B.C. forest surveyors were used in World War II for the D-Day invasion to fly over French territory and describe the topography.
- 1955 - Helicopters were first used for forest inventory and mapping.
- 1970 - Creation of styro-block and plug system that revolutionized the planting and growth of seedlings, leading to an exponential increase of seedlings planted.
- 1981 - Planting of the one-billionth tree.
- 1994 - Forest Practices Code was introduced.
- 2004 - Forest and Range Practices Act and regulations came into force.
- 2008 - Planting of the six-billionth tree.
During 2012, the ministry will host numerous celebratory events throughout the province. For more details and a complete list of events, contact your local district office or visit the BC Forest Service Centenary website at: http://www.bcfs100.ca/bscripts/index.asp
Minister of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations Steve Thomson -
"Today we celebrate the centennial birthday of the BC Forest Service, a truly significant milestone in our province's history. I would like to thank the thousands of men and women within the ministry for their dedication and hard work to ensuring the lasting legacy of B.C.'s forests."
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations: http://www.gov.bc.ca/for/
BC Forest Service Centenary: http://www.bcfs100.ca/bscripts/index.asp
BC Forest Service Centenary on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/#!/bcfs.centenary
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
raw-richarddominy -youtube sharing.mov