Almost $6.25 million is being provided to 166 arts and culture recipients in British Columbia as part of the latest round of successful BC Arts Council grants.
The funding is being provided to recipients in the fields of music, dance, theatre, writing and artistic training after applications were examined by the BC Arts Council’s peer-review process in April and May 2014.
The funding is part of the $24 million provided to the BC Arts Council by the Government of British Columbia to support artists, arts activities and culture in 2014-15.
The approved grants were awarded to both large and small arts and culture organizations throughout British Columbia, including regional centres in the Lower Mainland, as well as smaller organizations and artists based in communities like Armstrong, Chemainus, Powell River and Wells.
For a full list of recent recipients, visit: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca/
As B.C.’s lead agency for arts funding and development, the BC Arts Council enlists the expertise of the province’s artistic community to evaluate grant applications through a peer review process independent of government.
Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Coralee Oakes -
“Arts and culture are thriving in our province. The Government of British Columbia is proud to support this sector that contributes significantly to the province’s social and economic well being. The BC Arts Council is to be commended for its unwavering commitment to ensuring that arts and culture continue to support strong, vibrant communities in B.C.”
BC Arts Council Chair Stan Hamilton -
“Fostering artistic excellence is the BC Arts Council’s main objective. We are accomplishing that with generous support from the Government of British Columbia and expert participation of B.C.’s arts community to ensure a rigorous, independent grant review process. I commend council’s board and staff for supporting excellence across the creative spectrum in British Columbia.”
- Again this year, the Government of British Columbia is providing $24 million for the BC Arts Council - the highest level of funding in the council’s history. Overall, the Government of British Columbia is investing $60 million in B.C.’s artists, arts organizations and cultural institutions in 2014-15.
- Established in 1995, the BC Arts Council consults with the arts and culture community to develop policies, programs and strategic priorities for the sector.
- Last year, council approved in excess of 1,000 grants in more than 200 communities in every region of the province.
- Funding recipients represent British Columbia’s amazing diversity of artists and cultural organizations in urban and rural communities.
- Since 2001, the Government of British Columbia has invested almost $234 million through the BC Arts Council to support B.C.’s artists, arts and cultural organizations - including an all-time high of $24 million during each of the past two fiscal years.
- Since 2001, the Government of British Columbia has provided more than half a billion dollars for arts and culture in B.C., more than any other government in the province’s history.
For more information, visit the BC Arts Council’s website at: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca
Check out the Government of British Columbia’s role in supporting sport, arts and culture through the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development at: http://www.gov.bc.ca/cscd
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development