Education Minister Rob Fleming has appointed Dianne Turner as special advisor to the Vancouver Board of Education (SD 39).
The appointment will begin following the completion of her previous appointment to SD 39 as official trustee. This will occur immediately after the upcoming byelection that will restore an elected board of education to SD 39.
As special advisor, Turner will be responsible for the following:
- Establishing best practices for board governance
- Revising the board policy manual to modernize existing policies and clearly delineate governance responsibilities and functions from those of management
- Assisting with recruiting and hiring senior staff positions
- Providing orientation, transition and support to new employees to facilitate improved employee satisfaction, performance and retention
- Completing and implementing a seismic mitigation strategy between the Province and the board
As the special advisor, Turner will submit quarterly progress reports to the Minister of Education and a final report on or before Sept. 30, 2018.
The SD 39 byelection is on Oct. 14, 2017. See more info here: https://news.gov.bc.ca/15128