As of Friday, Oct. 15, 2021, 89.0% (4,126,668) of eligible people 12 and older in B.C. have received their first dose of COVID-19 vaccine and 83.0% (3,848,689) received their second dose.
In addition, 89.5% (3,870,725) of all eligible adults in B.C. have received their first dose and 83.7% (3,621,151) received their second dose.
B.C. is reporting 667 new cases of COVID-19, including two epi-linked cases, for a total of 196,433 cases in the province.
There are 5,128 active cases of COVID-19 in the province and 188,851 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 367 individuals are in hospital and 152 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.
Note: Intensive care numbers are a subset of the total in hospital. They are not in addition to the number of people in hospital.
The new/active cases include:
- 246 new cases in Fraser Health
- Total active cases: 2,221
- 75 new cases in Vancouver Coastal Health
- Total active cases: 724
- 101 new cases in Interior Health
- Total active cases: 817
- 184 new cases in Northern Health
- Total active cases: 734
- 59 new cases in Island Health
- Total active cases: 572
- two new cases of people who reside outside of Canada
- Total active cases: 60
In the past 24 hours, 13 new deaths have been reported, for an overall total of 2,055.
The new deaths include:
- Fraser Health: 11
- Interior Health: two
Note: The deaths at Willingdon Care Centre are reflected in today’s numbers.
There has been one new health-care facility outbreak at GR Baker Memorial Hospital (Northern Health). The outbreak at Good Samaritan Delta View Care Centre (Fraser Health) has been declared over, for a total of 19 active outbreaks, including:
- long-term care:
- Willingdon Care Centre, Westminster House, Magnolia Gardens, Manoah Manor, Cherington Place, West Shore Laylum (Fraser Health);
- Cottonwoods Care Centre, Joseph Creek Care Village, Overlander, Village by the Station, Haven Hill Retirement Centre (Interior Health); and
- Wrinch Memorial Hospital (Northern Health).
- acute care:
- Mission Memorial Hospital (Fraser Health);
- University Hospital of Northern BC, GR Baker Memorial Hospital (Northern Health); and
- Tofino General Hospital (Island Health).
- assisted or independent living:
- Sunset Manor, Evergreen Manor (Fraser Health); and
- Cooper Place (Vancouver Coastal Health).
From Oct. 7-13, people not fully vaccinated accounted for 68.3% of cases and from Sept. 30-Oct. 13, they accounted for 76.3% of hospitalizations.
Past week cases (Oct. 7-13) – Total 4,019
- Not vaccinated: 2,478 (61.7%)
- Partially vaccinated: 265 (6.6%)
- Fully vaccinated: 1,276 (31.7%)
Past two weeks cases hospitalized (Sept. 30-Oct. 13) – Total 439
- Not vaccinated: 312 (71.1%)
- Partially vaccinated: 23 (5.2%)
- Fully vaccinated: 104 (23.7%)
Past week, cases per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Oct. 7-13)
- Not vaccinated: 273.3
- Partially vaccinated: 76.2
- Fully vaccinated: 30.4
Past two weeks, cases hospitalized per 100,000 population after adjusting for age (Sept. 30-Oct. 13)
- Not vaccinated: 51.3
- Partially vaccinated: 10.4
- Fully vaccinated: 2.3
Since December 2020, the Province has administered 8,025,356 doses of Pfizer-BioNTech, Moderna and AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccines.
For new regional restrictions in the Northern Health region, visit:
For information on a third dose for people who are moderately to severely immunocompromised, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register#immunocompromised
As they become available, information on school outbreaks will be posted online: www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
For surgical renewal commitment progress reports, visit:
To learn about how B.C. counts its daily COVID-19 cases in hospitals, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2021HLTH0058-001844
To learn about the BC Vaccine Card and how to access yours, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/vaccinecard.html
For the Aug. 12, 2021, announcement on mandatory COVID-19 vaccinations for long-term care workers, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/25143
For information on breakthrough cases, see the BC Centre for Disease Control's (BCCDC) weekly data summary: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data#summary
Detailed data is posted daily on the BCCDC dashboard: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/data
To register to be immunized or to learn about getting your second dose, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/covid-19/vaccine/register
For the provincial health officer’s orders and guidance, visit:
For guidance on restrictions, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/safety/emergency-preparedness-response-recovery/covid-19-provincial-support/restrictions
The latest updates, including case counts, prevention, risks and to find a testing centre near you: http://www.bccdc.ca/
Or follow @CDCofBC on Twitter.
For COVID-19 exposure events, updates and information, visit:
- BCCDC: http://www.bccdc.ca/health-info/diseases-conditions/covid-19/public-exposures
- Fraser Health: fraserhealth.ca/covid19exposure
- Interior Health: https://news.interiorhealth.ca/news/public-exposures/
- Island Health: https://www.islandhealth.ca/learn-about-health/covid-19/data-outbreaks-facilities
- Northern Health: https://www.northernhealth.ca/health-topics/outbreaks-and-exposures
- Vancouver Coastal Health: http://www.vch.ca/covid-19/public-exposures