- Buying a home is the largest investment most people will make in their lives. Home buyers in B.C. have more confidence when making that investment, thanks to steps taken by the Province to strengthen home inspector licensing.
- New requirements came into effect September 1, 2016 making home inspectors more accountable and ensuring consumers know what to expect when hiring a professional.
- These changes were based on feedback from consultation with homebuyers, home inspectors, realtors, and others. We appreciate the cooperation from everyone involved and look forward to continuing to work together as these improvements re-shape the home inspection industry.
Currently, work is underway to develop training and examination requirements. When this work on qualifications is complete, the Province will be able to confirm a single, rigorous standard of practice.
- B.C. is a leader in protecting consumers. In 2009, we became the first jurisdiction in Canada to require licensing of home inspectors. Alberta has since followed suit and Ontario intends to license home inspectors as well.
- In 2014, B.C. announced plans to strengthen home inspector licencing and create a single, common, professional standard. This reflects a commitment to streamline the process for home inspectors, previously governed by four different associations, each with its own requirements.
Lindsay ByersMedia Relations
Ministry of Natural Gas Development
And Responsible for Housing