First- and second-year science students at Simon Fraser University's Surrey campus have shiny new lab space at their fingertips, now that SFU's expansion into Podium 2 is complete.
James Moore, Minister of Canadian Heritage and Official Languages and Member of Parliament for Port Moody - Westwood - Port Coquitlam, and Naomi Yamamoto, Minister of Advanced Education, joined executive, faculty, staff and students to celebrate today's grand opening.
The infrastructure project expanded the Surrey campus space into Podium 2, with a refit of existing space that accommodates new classrooms, and teaching and wet labs for first- and second-year science programs. Having access to this dedicated space means students no longer need to travel to the Burnaby campus to perform experiments.
SFU received $9.8 million from the provincial and federal governments for this renovation project through the Knowledge Infrastructure Program, part of both governments' commitment to repair and expand research and educational facilities at post-secondary institutions.
This was among 39 projects at post-secondary institutions throughout the province that were part of the Knowledge Infrastructure Program, a joint federal-provincial investment designed to renew infrastructure at post-secondary institutions across B.C. while also providing local jobs for communities.
Andrew Petter, president and vice-chancellor, Simon Fraser University -
"Education and innovation are key to building a stronger and more prosperous Canada. This investment by federal and provincial governments enhances the capacity of our Surrey campus to meet student needs, generate research, and contribute to South Fraser communities."
- SFU's Podium 2 expansion provides 4,870 square metres (52,425 square feet) of newly-renovated space for the Surrey campus within the Central City complex.
- Includes teaching labs, classrooms, offices and support space for a number of research labs, including kinesiology, criminology, interactive arts and technology, and gerontology.
- Designed to meet LEED (Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design) Gold standards.
- Simon Fraser University: http://www.sfu.ca/
- Podium 2: http://www.sfu.ca/sfunews/stories/sfu-surrey-unveils-podium-2-expansion.html
- Knowledge Infrastructure Program: http://ic.gc.ca/knowledge-infrastructure
Ministry of Advanced Education
Special Assistant (Communications)
Office of the Honourable Gary Goodyear
Minister of State (Science and Technology)