Students and staff, along with members of the community joined Education Minister George Abbott and Surrey-Cloverdale MLA Kevin Falcon to celebrate the official opening of the newest school in Surrey.
Adams Road Elementary school has a current enrolment of 268 students. The school was officially opened with a ceremony and the unveiling of a plaque.
In addition to a gymnasium and library, the school boasts wireless connectivity with the latest in educational technology. The schoolyard features an all-weather field and play areas. The adjacent park site has an existing grass soccer field and baseball diamond.
The school represents an $11-million investment by the Province, and was constructed as a two-storey building with a capacity for 290 elementary and full-day kindergarten students.
- Adams Road Elementary was named after the Adams family, who resided in the area during the 1920s and 1930s. The family was instrumental in having the city improve the local road that became Adams Rd., currently known as 68th Ave.
- Construction of Adams Road Elementary was announced in March 2009 and finished in December 2010.
- Adams Road Elementary opened Jan. 10, 2011. The school was built to meet Leadership in Energy and Environment Design (LEED) Gold standards, and features include a ground source heat pump, natural views and daylighting, and occupancy sensors to control light and ventilation.
- Wherever possible, B.C. wood products were used in the construction of the school.
- The two-storey building is over 2,500 square metres (27,000 square feet) and has incorporated energy-efficient and "green" elements.
- The Surrey school district (36) is the largest in B.C. and one of the few experiencing growing enrolment in the province. It has 124 schools located in Surrey and White Rock. The district offers a wide range of education and support programs to students of all ages.
- Since 2001, the Province has invested more than $243 million for 49 capital and seismic projects and eight site acquisitions in the Surrey school district. This includes 10 new schools, including Adams Road Elementary.
Surrey school district: www.sd36.bc.ca
Adams Road Elementary school: www.sd36.bc.ca/adamsroad
Ministry of Education media room and photo gallery
Ministry of Education, Capital Projects Plan: www.bced.gov.bc.ca/capitalplanning/projectmanagement/welcome.htm
Government Communications and Public Engagement
Ministry of Education