At the request of the Mayors' Council on Regional Transportation, the Province is introducing legislation, under Bill 11, the Greater Vancouver Transit Enhancement Act.
This legislation will allow the region to increase fuel tax by two cents per litre starting April 1, 2012. The additional regional fuel tax revenue will help fund the Evergreen Line rapid transit project and other priority transportation projects across Metro Vancouver.
The legislation amends the South Coast British Columbia Transportation Authority Act and the Motor Fuel Tax Act.
On Oct. 7, 2011, the mayors' council voted in favour of a plan to help TransLink pay for its share of the Evergreen Line and several other priority transportation projects across Metro Vancouver.
- TransLink is an independent agency created in 1999 by provincial legislation to provide transportation and transit services in Metro Vancouver, which includes 21 municipalities, Electoral Area "A" and the Tsawwassen First Nation.
- The Mayors' Council on Regional Transportation represents all municipalities and the Tsawwassen First Nation. It approves all TransLink plans that require fare or tax increases.
- In 2011, TransLink is expected to collect approximately $324 million in regional gas tax revenue. The additional two cents per litre will increase regional gas tax funding to approximately $364 million, starting in 2012.
- The Province has provided $1.7 billion for transit capital projects in Metro Vancouver over the past 10 years. Projects include the delivery of the Millennium Line and capital contributions for the Canada Line and Provincial Transit Plan investments in new buses, SeaBus, SkyTrain cars, West Coast Express vehicles and bus lanes.
- Over the same 10-year time period, the Province has also collected $1.5 billion on behalf of TransLink in fuel tax and parking sales tax.
Bill 11, the Greater Vancouver Transit Enhancement Act: http://www.leg.bc.ca/39th4th/1st_read/gov11-1.htm
Government Communications and Public Engagement
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure