Vancouver's Honda Celebration of Light festival in English Bay will shine brighter thanks to significant funding from the B.C. government, announced Ida Chong, Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development.
The government is contributing $150,000 to the popular annual fireworks display and festival.
The Celebration of Light attracts approximately 1.2 million people over the course of the festival and generates an economic return estimated at more than $39 million.
The festival, opening tonight, features three different countries - Vietnam, Brazil and Italy - competing for supremacy in fireworks choreography. Watching from Sunset Beach and Vanier Park, viewers will be treated to spectacular fireworks displays with corresponding soundtracks broadcast by Shore 104.3 FM over three nights.
The Celebration of Light includes a concert performance area with free musical performances and cultural showcasing on the SHOREfest and Rogue stage located in English Bay and Sunset Beach. It also includes sporting events such as 3-on-3 basketball through the NBA 3X Tournament and volleyball through Urban Rec.
Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development Ida Chong -
"The Honda Celebration of Light is a spectacular show that produces equally spectacular results. It is an event for all ages that attracts literally hundreds of thousands of people, including out-of-province visitors. We are proud to support the Celebration of Light and I congratulate the organizers and volunteers on their tremendous success."
Iain Black, president and CEO, Vancouver Board of Trade -
"The Honda Celebration of Light is a bright spot for Vancouver's economy. The festival doesn't just illuminate the skies over English Bay, it also lights up our city's tourism, hospitality and service sectors to the tune of nearly $40 million each summer. The Vancouver Board of Trade supports the Province's funding of this world-renowned event. It's an investment that's good for small business, and it gives us all a chance to celebrate the beauty of our hometown in a spectacular manner."
* The Honda Celebration of Light takes place on three nights over the course of a week: July 28 (Vietnam), August 1 (Brazil), and August 4 (Italy).
* This is the 22nd Celebration of Light.
* 2012 marks the debut appearances for Vietnam, Brazil and Italy.
* 70 per cent of the spectators are from the Lower Mainland, and 20 per cent are from elsewhere in B.C. and Washington. The final 10 per cent are international visitors.
* The Honda Celebration of Light is the largest offshore fireworks display in the world.
* The festival has launched a new mobile app to allow viewers to vote on their favourite fireworks display: http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/p/phone-app
Honda Celebration of Light: http://hondacelebrationoflight.com/
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development
250 208-4028 (cell)