The Wildfire Management Branch is sending 23 personnel to assist the Northwest Territories with their fire suppression efforts.
One 20-person unit crew, two plans chiefs and one agency representative are departing today for Fort Smith, Northwest Territories.
The request for assistance was made through the Canadian Interagency Forest Fire Centre, which co-ordinates the mutual sharing of firefighting resources between B.C. and other jurisdictions.
Considering the current and forecasted provincial fire situation, sufficient personnel and resources remain in B.C. to respond appropriately to any fire activity. Crews can be deployed for up to 19 days, but can be recalled at any time.
Costs associated with the deployment will be covered by the receiving jurisdictions under the Mutual Aid Resources Sharing Agreement, which allows for the movement of firefighting resources throughout Canada.
This is the fifth out-of-province deployment this year. Personnel were previously sent to Manitoba, Quebec, Ontario and Colorado.
* Unit crew: These firefighters are typically deployed to larger fires. The 20-person unit crew establishes pump and hose lines, digs fireguards and removes fuel from a wildfire's path using back burns.
* There are 500 unit crew firefighters stationed at 30 bases around B.C.
* Agency representative: Acts as the link between the deployed crews and the Wildfire Management Branch.
* Plans Chief: Tracks personnel and resources, assists in forecasting short-term and long-term resource requirements.
* Report smoke or flames by calling 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on your cellphone.
For the latest information on fire activity, conditions and prohibitions in B.C., visit the Wildfire Management Branch website at: www.bcwildfire.ca
You can also follow the latest B.C. wildfire news on:
Twitter at http://twitter.com/BCGovFireInfo
Facebook at http://facebook.com/BCForestFireInfo
Fire Information Officer - Provincial
Ministry of Forests, Lands and Natural Resource Operations
Connect with the Province of B.C. at: www.gov.bc.ca/connect