BC Liquor Stores customers can support Red Cross Super Typhoon Haiyan relief efforts in the Philippines by making a donation at any of the 195 BC Liquor Stores located in communities throughout the province.
These donations will help the Red Cross provide urgently needed assistance in affected communities. This includes carrying out search and rescue operations, distributing food and mobilizing items like blankets, hygiene kits and sleeping mats.
From today until Dec. 9, 2013, customers may make donations of $2 or $5 - or multiples thereof - at all checkouts in BC Liquor Stores. All donations received during this time will be matched by the federal government.
The BC Liquor Distribution Branch (LDB) has a long-term partnership with the Canadian Red Cross. Since 2010, BC Liquor Stores customers and employees have supported Red Cross disaster relief by contributing more than $1.7 million for humanitarian crises at home and abroad.
- On Nov. 8, 2013, Super Typhoon Haiyan - one of the strongest storms ever recorded with wind speeds of up to 300 kilometres per hour - destroyed thousands of homes and completely devastated parts of the Central Philippines.
- According to the National Household Survey, there are 96,560 people of Filipino descent living in British Columbia. The majority of these people live in Greater Vancouver.
- Earlier this year, BC Liquor Stores customers and employees supported Red Cross humanitarian relief efforts for Alberta Flood Relief.
- In 2011, BC Liquor Stores customers and employees supported Red Cross humanitarian relief efforts following the earthquake/tsunami in Japan and the Horn of Africa drought.
- BC Liquor Stores are unable to issue tax receipts for donations. Customers who require tax receipts should donate directly to the Canadian Red Cross.
BC Liquor Distribution Branch
604 362-4984 (cell)