Key community cultural organizations and events, including local arts councils, art galleries, theatres, museums and arts festivals throughout British Columbia shared nearly $13 million in BC Arts Council grants, Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Coralee Oakes said today.
The $12.993 million in funding comes from a record-high $24 million the BC Arts Council received from the Government of British Columbia to support artists, arts activities and culture in 2013-14. For a list of recipients, visit: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca/mediaroom/recipients.htm
Approved grants also help organizations that provide services for artists and cultural activities around the province, including ArtsBC, ArtStarts in Schools, BC Touring Council, British Columbia Drama Association/Theatre BC, the Federation of British Columbia Writers and the Craft Council of BC.
Arts festivals with a focus on film, music, literature, theatre and art for children have received support, as well as media arts organizations.
As B.C.’s lead agency for arts funding and development, council enlists the expertize of British Columbia’s artists to evaluate grant applications through a peer review process independent of government.
Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Coralee Oakes -
“Arts and culture are thriving in British Columbia. The Government of British Columbia is proud to help support this success. Our funding for the BC Arts Council has never been higher. Council works well with B.C.’s talented artists and dedicated cultural organizations to ensure that vibrant arts help make our communities shine as great places to live, work, invest and visit.”
BC Arts Council chair Stan Hamilton -
“Fostering artistic excellence is the BC Arts Council’s main objective. We are accomplishing that goal, with generous support from the Government of British Columbia and expert participation of B.C’s arts community to ensure a rigorous, independent grant review process. I commend council’s board and staff for supporting excellence across the creative spectrum in British Columbia.”
- Again this year, the Government of British Columbia is providing $24 million for the BC Arts Council - the highest level of funding in council’s history. Overall, Government of British Columbia is investing $60 million in B.C.’s artists, arts organizations and cultural institutions in 2014-15.
- Established in 1995, the BC Arts Council consults with the arts and culture community to develop policies, programs and strategic priorities for the sector.
- Last year, council approved over 1,000 grants in over 200 communities in every region of the province.
- Funding recipients represent British Columbia’s amazing diversity of artists and cultural organizations in urban and rural communities.
- Since 2001, the Government of British Columbia has invested almost $234 million through the BC Arts Council to support British Columbia’s artists, arts and cultural organizations - including an all-time high $24 million for 2013-14.
- Since 2001, the Government of British Columbia has provided more than half a billion dollars for arts and culture in B.C., more than any other government in the province’s history.
For more information, visit the BC Arts Council’s website at: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca
Check out the Government of British Columbia’s role in supporting sport, arts and culture through the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development at: http://www.gov.bc.ca/cscd
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development