Almost $2.58 million is being provided to 257 artists and arts organizations in British Columbia as part of the latest round of successful BC Arts Council grant adjudications.
The funding is being provided for scholarship awards and media arts as well as professional development, early career development and touring initiatives in the performing arts and studio arts fields.
These most recent awards are a result of applications examined by the BC Arts Council’s independent peer-review process between June 1 to Aug. 31, 2014.
The funding is part of the $24 million provided to the BC Arts Council by the Government of British Columbia to support the province’s arts and culture sector in 2014-15.
The approved grants were awarded to emerging and professional artists in addition to community and arts organizations in 39 B.C. communities. For a full list of recent recipients, visit: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca/
As B.C.’s lead agency for arts funding and development, the BC Arts Council enlists the expertise of the province’s artistic community to evaluate grant applications independent of government.
Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Coralee Oakes -
“The Government of British Columbia is extremely pleased to continue supporting the creative and economic vitality of our province’s arts sector. In particular, this latest set of awards in scholarships, early career development and professional development helps ensure the future of artistic excellence in the province.”
BC Arts Council chair Stan Hamilton -
“Thanks to important funding support from the Government of British Columbia and the invaluable contributions made by dedicated participants of the independent peer-review process, the BC Arts Council is able to further this province’s remarkable artistic talent.”
- Again this year, the Government of British Columbia is providing $24 million for the BC Arts Council - the highest level of funding in the council’s history. Overall, the Government of British Columbia is investing $60 million in B.C.’s artists, arts organizations and cultural institutions in 2014-2015.
- Established in 1995, the BC Arts Council consults with the arts and culture community to develop policies, programs and strategic priorities for the sector.
- Last year, the council approved in excess of 1,000 grants in more than 200 communities in every region of the province.
- Funding recipients represent British Columbia’s amazing diversity of artists and cultural organizations in urban and rural communities.
- Since 2001, the Government of British Columbia has invested almost $234 million through the BC Arts Council to support B.C.’s artists, arts and cultural organizations - including an all-time high of $24 million during each of the past two fiscal years.
- Since 2001, the Government of British Columbia has provided more than half a billion dollars for arts and culture in B.C., more than any other government in the province’s history.
For more information, visit the BC Arts Council’s website at: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca
Check out the Government of British Columbia’s role in supporting sport, arts and culture through the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development at: http://www.gov.bc.ca/cscd
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development