Lynnhaven, a new housing development, officially opened today providing 64 new affordable apartments for seniors in Abbotsford.
The development, located at 33585 and 33580 Braun Ave., is owned and managed by the Lynnhaven Society and features two four-storey wood-frame buildings with 32 studio units each. This new project replaces the Society’s former development on Lynn Avenue. The Lynnhaven Society traded ownership of that property for the site of this new housing development on Braun Ave.
Funding for the project was contributed by:
- The Government of Canada provided a $20,000 Seed Funding Grant and Proposal Development Funding of $50,000 through Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation;
- The B.C. government committed $47,000 and arranged approximately $4 million in long-term financing;
- The City of Abbotsford contributed $320,000 in equity; and
- The Lynnhaven Society provided the land valued at over $2.7 million and $5,000 in equity.
Honourable Edward Fast, Minister of International Trade and Minister for the Asia-Pacific Gateway, on behalf of Minister of State (Social Development), the Honourable Candice Bergen -
“I am very proud of our Government’s investment in this neighbourhood and how it’s helping to improve the quality of life for residents. We want our seniors to remain in their communities, close to family and friends. This project shows how a positive partnership with provincial and community partners can help us achieve that goal.”
Darryl Plecas, MLA for Abbotsford South -
“Seniors from Abbotsford and the Fraser Valley will benefit greatly from the increase in affordable housing options provided by the new addition of the Lynnhaven buildings. The provincial government is proud to partner with other levels of government and the Lynnhaven Society to assist in renewing their housing stock and at the same time creating 24 additional affordable housing apartments.”
Mayor Bruce Banman, City of Abbotsford -
“Affordable housing is a fundamental component of a healthy community and the City is proud to be a partner in supporting these two new buildings located in close proximity to the historic downtown core. We would like to acknowledge and thank the Lynnhaven Society for their work in providing affordable housing options for low income seniors in Abbotsford for well over 50 years and into the future.”
Leona Watts, executive director, Lynnhaven Society -
“The vision for this new development has been over 10 years in the making by members of the Lynnhaven Society, but it was all worth it. It’s amazing to see the completed buildings and to welcome tenants into their brand new apartments. We couldn’t have done it alone; I’d like to thank all levels of government who have supported the creation of this development and our board members and staff for all their hard work, as well the Algra Bros without whom this project would not have been realized.”
- Since 2001, the Government of B.C. has invested $3.6 billion to provide affordable housing for low-income individuals, seniors and families. This year, more than 98,000 B.C. households will benefit from provincial social housing programs and services.
- In 2012-13, the B.C. government invested nearly $7.3 million to provide subsidized housing and rent supplements for more than 1,600 households in Abbotsford.
- Established in 1957, the Lynnhaven Society is a non-profit society dedicated to providing affordable rental housing to seniors in need residing in the Abbotsford area.
Information on the Community Partnership Initiative: http://www.bchousing.org/Initiatives/Financing/CPI
To find out more about the Lynnhaven Society, visit: www.lynnhavensociety.com