BreakOut West 2015 , a combined music festival, conference and awards show presented by the Western Canadian Music Alliance (WCMA), opens today in Victoria (Sept. 17-20), attracting diverse Canadian musicians, as well as industry leaders from across North America and Europe.
Supported by $50,000 from the B.C. government, the Capital Region Music Awards Society submitted a successful bid earlier this year to bring the 13th annual BreakOut West to Victoria for the first time. Since 2004, the Province has approved $250,000 in grants to the WCMA to help promote and celebrate western Canadian music.
BreakOut West will present 70 showcase opportunities for performing artists at more than 15 venues throughout the Capital Regional District. The festival features a variety of genres, including classical, jazz, country, children’s music and a unique Aboriginal musical showcase.
Victoria’s annual Rifflandia Festival will run concurrently with BreakOut West, offering music fans an exciting weekend of two interwoven music festivals.
The Western Canada Music Awards ceremonies are always an exciting part of BreakOut West, recognizing talented musicians, as well as industry leaders.
BreakOut West will generate an estimated $1 million in economic benefits for Victoria and the region.
Peter Fassbender, Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development –
“Congratulations to everyone at the Capital Region Music Awards Society and the Western Canadian Music Alliance for helping to bring BreakOut West to B.C’s capital city and region. British Columbia is honoured to host this prestigious event. Besides offering outstanding entertainment, BreakOut West provides talented musicians, including many British Columbian artists, with a great opportunity to showcase their talent and promote their careers.”
Kyara Kahakauwila, president, Capital Region Music Awards Society –
“BreakOut West represents a significant economic and cultural opportunity for Vancouver Island. With Victoria's successful Rifflandia Festival being integrated into the event, we are looking forward to a memorable week of music for Capital Region music fans and many opportunities for local artists to showcase their talent for industry leaders.”
- BreakOut West’s annual conference provides a forum for music industry business leaders and performing artists to participate in informative workshops. The conference also creates opportunities for artists to book future performances.
- BreakOut West 2015 will attract over 600 delegates, including 72 artists and 83 speakers.
- An estimated 400 to 500 hotel room nights will be booked during BreakOut West 2015.
- BreakOut West 2015 enjoys strong community support from the City of Victoria, Capital Regional District, Downtown Victoria Business Association, Tourism Victoria and other local sponsors.
- Over 600 local volunteers are contributing their time and talent to support the success of BreakOut West 2015.
- The Western Canadian Music Alliance represents Music BC, the Alberta Music Industry Association, SaskMusic, Manitoba Music, Music Yukon and Music NWT.
- This year the B.C. government is providing $60 million to help support British Columbia’s artists, arts groups and cultural organizations.
BreakOut West and the Western Canadian Music Awards are presented by the Western Canadian Music Alliance – an organization created by the music industry associations of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, the Northwest Territories and the Yukon Territory to promote and celebrate western Canadian music: http://ow.ly/S3d9s
Check out the provincial government’s role in supporting communities, sport, arts and culture through the Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development at: www.gov.bc.ca/cscd