School might be out for summer, but that didn’t stop a few Oak Bay students from joining Education Minister Peter Fassbender on a tour of the new Oak Bay High school.
Victoria school district board chair Edith Loring-Kuhanga, principal Dave Thomson and media were also part of the group to get an advance first-hand look inside.
Oak Bay High embodies a partnership and ongoing relationship with the Oak Bay community. The Neighbourhood Learning Centre and the performing arts theatre serve as a reminder that this is truly a school shared by students, families and seniors.
Throughout Oak Bay High, students have high-speed Wi-Fi access and the ability to broadcast their assignments to wireless projectors and Apple TVs found in most every classroom.
Features of the new school:
- Construction of the new $51.6 million Oak Bay High began on July 5, 2013.
- Built to LEED Gold Standard which reduces operating costs and carbon output.
- Has a student capacity of 1,300; which allows for anticipated future enrolment growth.
- School size:
- New building is 17,700 square metres (more than 190,000 square feet)
- Neighbourhood Learning Centre is 1,766 square metres (about 19,000 square feet)
- School features:
- Multi-level building which supports many different types of spaces for personalized learning.
- Use of natural light and smart lights reduce energy costs and while smart sinks and water stations reduce water consumption.
- Integrates best practices team learning areas with group work spaces designed into common features like stair wells and hallways.
- Moveable walls enable adaptable programing and instruction; gymnasium includes a technically advanced sprung floor, which absorbs shocks, giving it a softer feel and is considered the best available for indoor sports and P.E. classes and is equipped to double as an auditorium with modern projectors and sound systems.
- The state-of-the-art community performing arts theatre features a 420-seat capacity, proscenium stage (archway above), orchestra area and rehearsal space.
- New soccer pitch will feature artifical turf.
- Computer labs on every floor of the school to complement the digital research learning centre and library to support emerging high-technology learning.
- The school district is funding 100 additional spaces for international students from its local capital reserve.
- The District of Oak Bay has pledged $1 million to the development of the community performing arts theatre.
Peter Fassbender, Minister of Education -
“I was impressed with this facility from its design right through to today’s tour. With its many modern and flexible learning spaces, Oak Bay High school is a stark contrast to the schools of the past.”
“B.C. has some of best student outcomes in the world, and today I was once again reminded we’re building amazing schools to help students achieve their best.”
Edith Loring-Kuhanga, Victoria board of education chair -
“The greater Victoria school board is eager to have our students start school in a facility that features excellence and true partnerships. We believe that the state-of-the art facility will continue to motivate and inspire our students for generations to come.”
Oak Bay High (district): https://oakbay.sd61.bc.ca/
Oak Bay High (new school website): http://www.oakbayhigh.com/https://www.facebook.com/BCProvincialGovernment/posts/1028088737209418