Forty-two safe, affordable homes for single mothers with children and other vulnerable women are coming soon to Saanich.
Construction is underway on Rosalie’s Village, a new rental housing development funded by the B.C. government, District of Saanich, Capital Regional District and community partners.
The four-storey building will include a 37-space daycare, a community kitchen and tenant access to on-site supports including employment and life skills training. Rosalie’s Village is situated where residents will have easy access to health services, a number of restaurants, a shopping centre and Brydon Park.
Project partners and funding include:
- The B.C. government is arranging construction financing of close to $10 million.
- The District of Saanich through the Affordable Housing Fund will contribute $172,262.
- The Capital Regional District will provide $630,000.
- The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island will provide up to $1.6 million through fundraising and the land valued at nearly $1.3 million.
Construction is expected to be complete by summer 2016. The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island will manage and operate the building.
Michelle Stilwell, Minister of Social Development and Social Innovation –
“The government is pleased to help bring Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island’s vision of Rosalie’s Village to life. A project like this, which creates homes for vulnerable women and women with children, illustrates our ongoing commitment to provide safe, affordable housing throughout the province through strong partnerships and investment.”
Mayor Richard Atwell, District of Saanich –
“We are excited to celebrate the construction progress of Rosalie’s Village. This will be a beautiful affordable housing building and we can’t wait for it to become a home for the women and children who need it most.”
Charlayne Thornton-Joe, chair of the CRD Regional Housing Trust Fund –
“This project is an important piece of CRD’s commitment to increasing affordable housing in this region and we are proud to provide $630,000 towards this development. Rosalie’s Village will provide safe, quality and affordable housing for women and children for many years to come.”
Angela Hudson, executive director, Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island –
“Our society aims to serve vulnerable individuals by providing programs and services to improve their quality of life. We are delighted to add affordable housing through Rosalie’s Village for the women and children in this community who need it. We are so thankful to all levels of government and the many community partners who helped make these new homes a reality.”
- Since 2001, the B.C. government has invested $4.4 billion to provide affordable housing for low-income individuals, seniors and families.
- This year, more than 102,500 B.C. households will benefit from provincial social housing programs and services.
- Last year, the B.C. government invested over $4 million to provide subsidized housing and rent supplements for nearly 2,300 Saanich households.
- Children living at Rosalie’s Village, located at 4351 West Saanich Rd., will be given placement priority at the on-site daycare with remaining spaces available to at-risk children from the local community.
- The Society of Saint Vincent de Paul of Vancouver Island is one of the longest serving Societies in the Capital Regional District – soon to reach its 100th year anniversary of service to vulnerable populations. For more information, visit: www.svdpvictoria.com/
Follow BC Housing on Twitter: @BC_Housing (twitter.com)