The BC Arts Council is distributing more than $7 million to 313 artists and arts organizations throughout the province as part of a recent round of grant adjudications.
This investment supports a thriving creative economy in British Columbia, with recipients representing 93 B.C. communities. The awards are the result of applications examined through the BC Arts Council’s independent peer-review process between Oct. 1 and Dec. 31, 2015.
This round of funding supported the following program areas:
- Community Arts Councils – 70 awards; $899,871
- Community Projects – 11 awards; $67,954
- Creative Writing – 49 awards; $430,000
- Early Career Development – three awards; $32,025
- Operating Assistance – 111 awards; $5,162,600
- Professional Project Funding – 35 awards; $358,500
- Professional Development Funding – 24 awards; $61,200
- Touring Initiatives – 10 awards; $85,000
For a full list of recent recipients, visit: https://www.bcartscouncil.ca/mediaroom/recipients.htm
Community, Sport and Cultural Development Minister Peter Fassbender –
“People working in the creative sector are one of the drivers of the BC Jobs Plan and contribute to healthy and vibrant communities. Investing in artists and arts organizations throughout the province strengthens our creative economy and helps make British Columbia a great place to live, work and play. Congratulations to the award recipients, and thank you for your role in our province’s overall prosperity.”
BC Arts Council chair Merla Beckerman –
“A healthy arts sector is made up of a rich spectrum of creative endeavour, and the artistic excellence demonstrated by the talented and diverse BC Arts Council recipients is most impressive. Thank you to the award juries for their conscientious adjudication, and congratulations to all the recipients.”
- In 2015-16, the BC Arts Council, an independent agency funded by the Government of British Columbia, provided $24 million to help artists and cultural organizations flourish in communities throughout B.C.
- Community arts councils, galleries, museums and individual artists throughout the province receive arts council funding.
- Last year, council approved grants benefitting more than 200 communities in every region of the province.
For more information, visit the BC Arts Council’s website at: http://www.bcartscouncil.ca