Families in the Vancouver Island West school district will benefit from improved transportation services, thanks to $57,593 in funding under the new provincial Student Transportation Fund.
Education Minister Mike Bernier announced today that the Vancouver Island West school district will use the new funding to:
- Balance contracted transportation cost pressures.
- Continue to support water taxi services for students.
- Provide transportation for Aboriginal students in the outdoor education program.
The new $14.7-million Student Transportation Fund was announced in August 2016 to help school districts provide affordable and accessible transportation for B.C. families.
To be eligible for funding, districts had to submit a plan to the Ministry of Education outlining how they will use the funding to enhance transportation services for students and families. The amount of funding for which a district is eligible is based on a formula tied to the ministry’s student-location factor, which is used to determine the rural makeup of a school district.
As a result of B.C.'s strong economic growth and fiscal discipline, government is able to support and fund projects that make a real difference in the lives of British Columbians.
Mike Bernier, Minister of Education –
“As a parent in a rural community, I know first-hand the work involved in getting kids to and from school. The Student Transportation Fund will make transportation more accessible and affordable for students and families and addresses the challenges that districts face – whether it’s the yellow bus program or working with local transit operators.”
The Student Transportation Fund builds on government’s recent investments to further strengthen B.C.’s education system and support student learning, including:
- $25 million of administrative savings returned to school districts to invest in students;
- $2-million Rural Education Enhancement Fund to help keep schools open;
- $28 million to ensure enrolment increases and labour settlements are covered; and,
- $6 million to train teachers on coding and new curriculum and to buy computers.
Read the Student Transportation Fund news release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016EDUC0076-001429