Families in the Burnaby school district will benefit from improved transportation services, thanks to $24,841 in funding under the new provincial Student Transportation Fund.
Burnaby North MLA Richard T. Lee announced today, on behalf of Education Minister Mike Bernier, that the Burnaby school district will use the new funding to:
- Ensure students with disabilities have safe and accessible transportation services.
- Help provide additional bus routes and assist with fuel costs.
The new $14.7-million Student Transportation Fund was announced in August 2016 to help school districts provide affordable and accessible transportation for British Columbia families.
To be eligible for funding, school districts had to submit a plan to the Ministry of Education outlining how they will use the funding to enhance transportation services for students and families. The amount of funding for which a district is eligible is based on a formula tied to the ministry’s student-location factor, which is used to determine the rural makeup of a school district.
As a result of B.C.'s strong economic growth and fiscal discipline, government is able to support and fund projects that make a real difference in the lives of British Columbians.
Richard T. Lee, MLA for Burnaby North –
“Parents and students will appreciate access to safe and reliable transportation to and from school. They will also benefit from the additional routes and cost savings, ensuring students have a positive commuting experience as they travel to and from their classrooms.”
The Student Transportation Fund builds on government’s recent investments to further strengthen B.C.’s education system and support student learning, including:
- $25 million of administrative savings returned to school districts to invest in students;
- $2-million Rural Education Enhancement Fund to help keep schools open;
- $28 million to ensure enrolment increases and labour settlements are covered; and,
- $6 million to train teachers on coding and new curriculum and to buy computers.
Read the Student Transportation Fund news release: https://news.gov.bc.ca/releases/2016EDUC0076-001429