British Columbians are invited to comment on the proposed master plan update for Silver Star Mountain Resort near Vernon until March 25, 2016.
A public open house and information session to review the plan and ask questions about the proposal will also be held from 4 p.m. – 7 p.m. on Feb. 25, 2016, at the National Altitude Training Centre auditorium in the Silver Star Mountain Resort village. Presentations are scheduled for 4 p.m. and 6 p.m.
Silver Star’s proposed master plan update has been submitted to the ministry’s Mountain Resorts Branch for review and approval under the All Seasons Resort Policy. The plan details proposed phased development concepts, including:
- a five-phase mountain and base area development plan;
- addition of three new ski terrain pods;
- approximately 2,000 additional bed units in the existing village base area, and at the West Knoll residential area;
- new and expanded winter/year-round attractions;
- no change to the Controlled Recreation Area.
Silver Star’s proposed master plan update can be viewed online at: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/construction-industry/resort-development/proposed-approved-resort-master-plans/list-of-proposed-plans
Comments can be e-mailed, using the subject line “Silver Star Comments”, to: Tori.Meeks@gov.bc.ca
- Silver Star Mountain Resort’s existing master plan was approved by the Province in 1994-95.
- There are currently seven lifts, three carpets, two tube tows and 128 ski trails at Silver Star.
- The resort’s Controlled Recreation Area is approximately 3,300 hectares.
- There are currently 36 mountain resorts throughout the province.
- All-season resorts contribute $1.3 billion to B.C.’s economy.
Silver Star Mountain Resort: http://www.skisilverstar.com/
Mountain Resorts Branch: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/construction-industry/resort-development
All Seasons Resort Policy: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/farming-natural-resources-and-industry/natural-resource-use/land-water-use/crown-land/asr_policy.pdf