When Google Trekker makes sure to stop in your part of the province after visiting places like the Grand Canyon and Great Barrier Reef, you have reason to celebrate a memorable tourism year.
Northern B.C.’s vast wilderness is available to view online from around the world in 2017, thanks to Google Trekker’s visit. This part of the province is capping off 2016 with a range of fun holiday activities.
Here are some holiday options to enjoy as 2016 comes to a close:
- Holiday Shopping Fair, Prince George, Dec. 3: http://www.tourismpg.com/events/2016/12/03
- Bells for Christmas concert, Prince George, Dec. 11: http://www.princegeorgecitizen.com/entertainment/events#/?i=2
- Snowed in Comedy Tour, Smithers, Jan. 6: http://smithersevents.com/events/snowed-in-comedy-tour
- Cross-country skiing, Belle Mountain-McBride: http://www.mcbride.ca/visitors/winter-activities/trails-2
- Snowshoeing, Jackman Flats, Valemount: http://visitvalemount.ca/play/winter/nordic-skiing/
- Snowboarding, Powder King Resort near Mackenzie: : http://www.hellobc.com/mackenzie/things-to-do/winter-activities/skiing-snowboarding.aspx
This year is shaping up to be one of the busiest years for tourism in British Columbia. Year-to-date figures show an 11.9% increase in international visitors over the same time period last year (January to September). That represents more than four million total overnight international visitors (4,564,070) that came to B.C. during the first nine months of this year.
Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour, is encouraging British Columbians to make this year an even more memorable one for the province’s tourism industry by supporting local holiday activities through a staycation.
Staycations are a good way to #exploreBC and keep your vacation dollars circulating in B.C.’s economy. By visiting regional events and venues, you’re not only supporting local businesses, you're also helping sustain important jobs in the tourism sector.
Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour –
“It really is time to celebrate what an amazing year it has been for tourism in British Columbia. I encourage British Columbians to support their local economies by enjoying a holiday event this season. Go and #exploreBC and celebrate the world-class tourism offerings in your own backyard.”
Mike Morris, MLA, Prince George-Mackenzie –
“It’s been an amazing year for tourism in Prince George-Mackenzie. Having Google Trekker pay us a visit was a real highlight. Gather your family or friends and make a point of taking advantage of what’s going on here during the holidays. It’s the perfect time to enjoy what northern B.C. offers visitors and locals alike.”
Marsha Walden, CEO, Destination British Columbia –
“The holiday buzz is officially here! People from around the world are choosing to visit destinations across B.C. and participating in celebrations that speak to them at a personal level. With no shortage of events, this is a great opportunity for travellers to authentically experience what life is like in our communities. Regardless of budget, there’s something happening somewhere that will help make this an unforgettable holiday season.”
- British Columbians are encouraged to tag their favourite winter staycation activities on social media with: #StaycationBC and #exploreBC.
- The tourism industry is helping fuel the provincial economy, which is expected to lead the country in economic growth in 2016 and 2017.
- Tourism supports nearly 19,000 businesses and 127,500 employees in B.C. and is a key sector in the BC Jobs Plan.
- The Province supports the sector with a $98 million annual investment across every region of B.C.
- In 2015, 4.9 million international visitors came to B.C. – about an 8% increase compared to 2014.
For more info about Northern B.C. tourism: http://www.hellobc.com/northern-british-columbia.aspx
Find BC trip ideas, travel tips and deals to help you #exploreBC: http://www.explorebc.ca/
Watch British Columbia’s brand anthem video, The Wild Within: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNFrZNjs2ng