Local governments in Fraser Valley are receiving federal-provincial investments in critical clean water and wastewater infrastructure, announced Abbotsford-Mission MLA Simon Gibson on behalf of Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development Peter Fassbender.
The Clean Water and Wastewater Fund is providing approximately $310 million to 144 projects throughout the province.
Clean Water and Wastewater Fund recipients for Fraser Valley include:
- $1,476,298 for Hatzic Prairie Water System Upgrade
- $333,452 for Lake Errock Water System Upgrades
The Clean Water and Wastewater Fund enables crucial investments in local government infrastructure, specifically supporting long-term benefits in rehabilitating drinking water, wastewater and stormwater systems, as well as planning and designing future facilities and upgrades to existing wastewater systems.
This funding will help communities ensure that residents enjoy safe and reliable access to drinking water and improved environmental protections, and will assist local governments in meeting provincial and federal regulations. Clean water and wastewater management is a core service that communities depend on to grow and help ensure sustainability principles are met, while improving community vibrancy, resiliency and attractiveness.
The Clean Water and Wastewater Fund is one of the key ways the B.C. government is taking action to strengthen, grow and diversify rural communities. These projects build on the immediate investments and long-term action plan outlined in B.C.’s Rural Economic Development Strategy that are expected to create over 26,000 jobs and add $2.8 billion to provincial GDP.
Peter Fassbender, Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development –
“Safe and reliable drinking water and wastewater systems are essential infrastructure for all communities in our province. The Clean Water and Wastewater Fund enables local governments to make the critical investments in essential services their citizens rely upon. This program is another successful example of our government working together with our federal and municipal partners to best serve British Columbians.”
Abbotsford-Mission MLA Simon Gibson –
“This strategic funding delivers on our objective to provide safe and reliable drinking water to our communities. The Hatzic Prairie and Lake Errock water system upgrades have been a priority for the Fraser Valley area, and through this federal-provincial partnership we are able to continue to provide storage for domestic and fire protections services as well as other essentials to keep families safe.”
- In 2016, Premier Christy Clark announced $148.5 million for the new Clean Water and Wastewater Fund. Combined with the federal commitment of $225.1 million, this provides a total of $373.6 million in senior-government funding to support rehabilitation of critical infrastructure.
- Approved projects are cost shared 50% by the Government of Canada, 33% by the Province of British Columbia, and the remaining 17% from the local government.
- In September 2016, 35 projects received approval under the Clean Water and Wastewater Fund, representing $60 million in combined funding from the provincial and federal governments.
Province of B.C.’s Clean Water and Wastewater Fund overview: http://www.gov.bc.ca/cleanwaterwastewaterfund
Government of Canada’s Clean Water and Wastewater Fund overview: http://www.infrastructure.gc.ca/plan/cwwf/cwwf-program-programme-eng.html