Communities throughout British Columbia continue to benefit from provincial funding made available through the Hosting BC grant program.
A total of $175,000 will be distributed to 45 successful applicants in 26 communities around the province, together representing 36 sports. Hosting BC funds are administered by viaSport, the B.C. government’s lead agency for the development and promotion of sport and physical activity in the province.
This funding will help support the operation of local, provincial, national and international events throughout B.C. and and help foster economic, social and community development. Projects supported through this round of funding include:
- Kitimat Spring Fling Invitational 2017 – $1,000
- ITF3 Vancouver International Wheelchair Tennis Tournament – $5,000
- 2017 UANA Pan American Junior Diving Championships in Victoria – $15,000
Since 2004, Hosting BC has invested $5.8 million in community-based sporting events, building B.C.’s reputation as a sport-hosting destination and generating revenues that help support local businesses and job creation.
Peter Fassbender, Minister of Community, Sport and Cultural Development –
“Event hosting brings communities together to support the development of athletes while stimulating economic activity and creating jobs for host communities. Our province is known as a destination of choice for hosting local, provincial and international events. Congratulations to the Hosting BC grant recipients and their communities for showcasing sport and all that your region has to offer.”
Sheila Bouman, CEO, viaSport –
“Hosting BC grants provide opportunities for British Columbians to feel proud and connected to their communities as participants, coaches, spectators, volunteers and hosts. Our hope is that these community-based events will inspire more B.C. citizens of all ages, capabilities and backgrounds to engage, participate and thrive via sport.”
- Hosting BC funds competitive-level events that support long-term athlete development plans for B.C.’s Provincial Sport Organizations.
- Grants typically range from $1,000 to $15,000 depending on the level of competition (e.g., provincial, regional, national, international).
- Applications for funding are reviewed by the Hosting BC Review Committee administered by viaSport.
- The Government of British Columbia has provided more than $1 billion to support sport in B.C. since 2001 – more than any other government in provincial history.
- In 2017-18, over $50 million will be invested in sport, which will help build sport infrastructure and support B.C. athletes to pursue high-performance sports to represent the province nationally and internationally.
For a complete list of grant recipients: https://www.viasport.ca/sites/default/files/Documents/2017_01_Hosting_Backgrounder.pdf
Learn more about the Province’s Hosting Toolkit: http://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/events-hosting/hosting-toolkit
Learn more about viaSport: http://www.viasport.ca/
Ministry of Community, Sport and Cultural Development250 356-6334
Michelle TiceCommunications & Engagement Director