The Kamloops Fire Centre is reminding the public that a Category 2 and Category 3 open burning prohibition came into effect at noon on May 19. The open burning prohibition applies to most areas of the Kamloops Fire Centre and will remain in effect until Oct. 15, 2017, or until further notice.
Category 2 and Category 3 open fires have been prohibited in the following areas:
- Kamloops Fire Zone, North Prohibition Area – below 1,200 metres.
- Kamloops Fire Zone, South Prohibition Area – all elevations.
- Vernon Fire Zone – below 1,200 metres.
- Penticton Fire Zone – all elevations.
- Merritt Fire Zone – all elevations.
- Lillooet Fire Zone – all elevations.
A map of the affected areas is available online at: http://ow.ly/qEXK30c3dAL
Anyone found in contravention of an open fire prohibition may be issued a ticket for $1,150 or, if convicted in court, be fined up to $100,000 and sentenced to one year in jail. If the contravention causes or contributes to a wildfire, the person may be subject to a penalty of up to $10,000 and be ordered to pay all firefighting and associated costs.
For the latest information on wildfire activity, conditions and prohibitions, visit the B.C. Wildfire Service website: www.bcwildfire.ca
You can also follow the latest B.C. wildfire news: