A public access restriction for areas around the Sutherland Road wildfire is now in effect and will remain in force until the public is otherwise notified. This restriction was put in place to protect the safety of the public and firefighting personnel.
While this Order of Restricted Access is in effect, no one is allowed to remain in or enter the designated restricted area unless that person is authorized to enter the area to travel to and from work or is a local resident who is travelling to and from his or her residence.
This area restriction order applies to Crown land within the geographic boundaries outlined below, starting from the junction of Highway 27 and the Barlow Forest Service Road:
- due south for one kilometre
- then due west for 24 kilometres
- then southwest for five kilometres to the junction of Dog Creek Road and the Sutherland Forest Service Road
- then north-northwest for 7.8 kilometres to the junction of the Barlow Forest Service Road and the Barlow-Rat Forest Service Road
- then east along the Barlow Forest Service Road back to Highway 27
A map of the restricted area is available online at: http://ow.ly/88tt30dzyFy
Road checks will be conducted by the ministry’s Natural Resource Officers and security staff 24 hours a day on Highway 27 and on the Barlow Forest Service Road.
The Regional District of Buckley-Nechako has issued an evacuation alert for this area. For more information about this alert, please visit: http://www.rdbn.bc.ca
To report a wildfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone. For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, visit: http://www.bcwildfire.ca
You can also follow the latest wildfire news on: