Effective at noon on Wednesday, Sept. 20, 2017, an amended area restriction for Crown land in the vicinity of the Elephant Hill wildfire was implemented to accommodate operational requirements, protect public safety and ensure the safety of firefighting personnel.
This amended area restriction (KFC2017-041) replaced area restriction KFC20174-036, which was rescinded at that time. The amended order will remain in place until noon on Oct. 31, 2017 or until the public is otherwise notified.
A map of the affected area is available online at: http://ow.ly/llPC30f8qnc
The area restriction order applies to Crown land within the geographic boundaries shown on the map, but it does not apply to the foreshore or to Crown land covered by water within the restricted area.
Under this order and Section 11(2) of the Wildfire Act, a person must not remain in or enter the restricted area without the prior written authorization of an official designated for the purposes of the Wildfire Act, unless the person enters the area only in the course of:
- travelling to or from his or her primary residence;
- travelling to or from private or leased property for the purpose of accessing his or her secondary residence or recreational property;
- using a highway as defined in the Transportation Act;
- travelling as a person acting in an official capacity;
- travelling for the purpose of supporting wildfire suppression activities;
- engaging and/or participating in a commercial activity within the regular course of the person’s business or employment on private or leased lands;
- being a customer of commercial businesses that engage in an activity using the foreshore or Crown land covered by water; or
- engaging and/or participating in agricultural activities pertaining to livestock management between the hours of 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. on private or leased property.
To report a wildfire, unattended campfire or open burning violation, call 1 800 663-5555 toll-free or *5555 on a cellphone.
For the latest information on current wildfire activity, burning restrictions, road closures and air quality advisories, go to: www.bcwildfire.ca
You can also follow the latest wildfire news on: