The Province is investing $100,000 in the Mackenzie Tour - PGA TOUR Canada, BC Golf Swing to help welcome top golfers and fans from around the globe to B.C., announced Suzanne Anton, MLA for Vancouver-Fraserview, on behalf of Shirley Bond, Minister of Jobs, Tourism and Skills Training and Minister Responsible for Labour.
The BC Golf Swing is part of the Mackenzie Tour - PGA TOUR Canada's tournament series. The tour will bring 156 players to compete in three tournament locations in British Columbia. The tournaments will bring in fans, tour officials and sponsors and are expected to generate $8 million of economic activity in B.C.
The three tour stops are:
- Vancouver – Freedom 55 Financial Open at Point Grey Golf and Country Club – May 29-June 4
- Victoria – Bayview Place DC Payments Open at Uplands Golf Club – June 5-11
- Kelowna – GolfBC Championship at Gallagher's Canyon Golf and Country Club – June 12-18
The Tourism Events Program supports events that raise awareness nationally and internationally of British Columbia’s tourism experiences and motivate Canadians and people from other countries to travel and experience British Columbia. These events also generate tourism and economic activity in communities and regions throughout the province.
Suzanne Anton, Minister of Justice and MLA for Vancouver-Fraserview –
“These tournaments in Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna will bring top international golfers and visitors to three of our province’s most iconic golf courses. Investing in tournaments like this creates tremendous economic impact for these communities and helps to create jobs in our diverse tourism sector.”
Jeff Monday, president, Mackenzie Tour - PGA TOUR Canada
“Every year, we look forward to kicking off our season in British Columbia, and the three tournaments rank among the players’ favourite stops all year. It’s a common sight to see players bringing their friends and family to these tournaments to show them this beautiful part of the country, and our event host organizations do a tremendous job to give players, fans, sponsors, staff and volunteers a world-class tournament experience. We’re thrilled to have the support of the Province to create the BC Golf Swing and look forward to our events making an even greater charitable and economic impact in Vancouver, Victoria and Kelowna this year.”
- The Province invests more than $98 million annually in the tourism industry across every region to grow and market the sector.
- The latest tourism statistics show that in January 2017, there were close to 23,427 more visitors to the province over January 2016 – representing a 9.2% increase.
- In 2016, 5.5 million international visitors came to B.C. – a 12.3% increase compared to 2015.
- In 2015, the tourism industry generated $15.7 billion in revenue with a direct contribution to B.C.’s gross domestic product of $7.4 billion.
- The Mackenzie Tour – PGA TOUR Canada is part of the path to the PGA TOUR, where players begin their quest to reach the game’s highest level. At the end of the season, the top players earn their way onto the Web.com Tour, advancing them one giant step toward their PGA TOUR dreams.
BC Jobs Plan: http://engage.gov.bc.ca/bcjobsplan/economy/tourism/
For more information about the BC Golf Swing series: http://bcgolfswing.com/
To learn more about the Tourism Events Program: http://www.destinationbc.ca/BC-Tourism-Industry/Municipal-and-Regional-District-Tax-Program/Tourism-Events-Program.aspx