British Columbians, from students and parents to job seekers and employers, will have the knowledge they need to make informed decisions about career plans by using the 2018 B.C. Labour Market Outlook report.
Over the next decade, the majority of all job openings – over three-quarters – will require post-secondary education or training.
“Post-secondary education and training opens the door to opportunity,” said Melanie Mark, Minister of Advanced Education, Skills and Training. “We are building the best B.C., and the B.C. Labour Market Outlook will give people throughout B.C. the tools they need to play a part in our strong economy over the next 10 years. We’re committed to making education and training accessible and affordable for British Columbians, so that people can get the skills they need to find good family-supporting jobs, and thrive.”
As well as identifying high-demand occupations and looking in-depth at seven B.C. regions, the labour market outlook includes information on industries that will see the most job openings. At nearly 150,000 job openings, the health-care and social-assistance industry is forecast to provide the most opportunities over the next 10 years.
The labour market outlook gives British Columbians up-to-date information so they can make sound decisions for the future. Using the report, students can find viable and promising career paths, employers can be guided in their business planning and educators can ensure programs provide students with skills to thrive in B.C.’s growing labour market.
- The outlook forecasts 903,000 job openings in the next decade until 2028. Of these, 68% will be to replace people leaving the workforce, e.g., retirees. The remaining 32% will come from economic growth.
- 41% of job openings will need a diploma, certificate or apprenticeship training, and 36% will need a bachelor’s, graduate or first professional degree. In contrast, only 23% of projected jobs require people with only a high school diploma, on-the-job training or less.
For the 2018 edition of the B.C. Labour Market Outlook, visit: http://workbc.ca/labourmarketoutlook
To access forecast data for all 500 occupations, industries and regions, go to: https://catalogue.data.gov.bc.ca/dataset/labour-market-outlook
For a broader look at employment, hiring and training opportunities, visit: www.WorkBC.ca
A backgrounder follows.