The British Columbia agriculture sector will have new resources available to support its efforts in adapting to climate change.
The Climate Change Adaptation Program is providing $6 million in federal and provincial government support, over the next five years, through the Canadian Agricultural Partnership. The program builds on previous government-supported work and is focused on building resilience to climate change at the farm level, and at the wider regional level.
The Regional Adaptation Program will:
- establish three new regional strategies; and
- provide support for the implementation of projects in new and existing regions.
The Farm Adaptation Innovator Program will:
- fund seven to nine new research projects on B.C. farms; and
- pilot and demonstrate farm practices and technologies that support climate adaptation.
Application packages will be available in fall 2018.
The Climate Change Adaptation Program will run for the duration of the five-year Canadian Agricultural Partnership. The partnership is a federal-provincial-territorial agreement that includes $2 billion in cost-shared strategic initiatives delivered by the provinces and territories, and $1 billion for federal programs and services, through March 2023.
The Honourable Lawrence MacAulay, federal Minister of Agriculture and Agri-Food –
“Farmers are stewards of the land and they need to have the right tools to support making good decisions. The Government of Canada is proud to support the development of new strategies and tools that will help farmers in British Columbia adapt to climate change, while producing healthy food in a sustainable way.”
Lana Popham, Minister of Agriculture for British Columbia –
“The B.C. government is committed to helping British Columbia farmers adapt to climate change through sustainable operations while expanding production. The Climate Change Adaptation Program will directly support our farmers in regions throughout B.C. so they can reach new levels of success over the next five years.”
- The Climate Change Adaptation Program will be administered by the B.C. Agricultural Research and Development Corporation and the BC Investment Agriculture Foundation, and will be delivered by the BC Agriculture & Food Climate Action Initiative.
- Since 2013, the BC Agriculture & Food Climate Action Initiative has been providing strategic guidance and program management for B.C. agriculture’s climate change adaptation programming. Further information is at: https://www.bcagclimateaction.ca/
- Regional adaptation strategies have been developed in six key agricultural areas of the province: Cowichan, Delta, the Peace, the Cariboo, the Fraser Valley and the Okanagan.