Employers and public-sector unions have reached three more tentative settlements for 31,000 B.C. public-sector employees under the Sustainable Services Negotiating Mandate.
“I'm pleased the parties at the table have been able to reach tentative agreements. Government has tremendous respect for the important work these public-sector employees deliver in our communities,” said Carole James, Minister of Finance. “Our government is working hard to improve the services people count on, and our give and take at the bargaining table is helping us to continue working together to make life better for everyone in our province.”
Tentative agreements covering employees working in community social services and community health have been reached between:
- Community Social Services Employers’ Association and the multi-union Community Social Service Bargaining Association on two agreements covering approximately 15,000 employees in the social services sector.
- Health Employers’ Association of BC and the multi-union Community Bargaining Association on an agreement covering 16,000 employees in the health-care sector.
The Sustainable Services Negotiating Mandate supports government’s core priorities of improving the services people count on, making life more affordable, and building a strong, sustainable economy in British Columbia. It also encourages employers and unions find ways to sustain, enhance and modernize the delivery of services that British Columbians rely on.
Agreement details will be available when the ratification process for both union members and employers is complete for all the agreements over the coming weeks.
- There are more than 422,000 people who work in B.C.’s core public service, Crown corporations and agencies, health and community social services, K-12 education, post-secondary and research universities.
- Of those, more than 326,000 are unionized employees.
- The majority of agreements reached under the 2014 mandate expire in 2019.
For more information about public-sector bargaining: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/employment-business/employers/public-sector-employers/public-sector-bargaining