A cash injection of almost $100,000 will be given to British Columbian outdoor clubs to improve trail riding conditions and promote rider safety.
Eleven clubs are receiving funding under two different funding streams:
Trail construction or maintenance
- Fort St. James Snowmobile Club: $13,655
- Kamloops Snowmobile Association: $20,000
- Maple Ridge Blue Mountain Motorcycle Club: $3,675
- Prince George ATV Club: $15,000
- Prince George Tabor Mountain Recreation Society: $20,000
- Sicamous Eagle Valley Snowmobile Club: $9,600
- Squamish Dirt Bike Association: $5,000
- Valemount and Area Recreation Development Association: $5,000
Promotion of safe and responsible use
- Coquitlam Eagle Mountain Moto Club: $2,000
- Hope B.C. Nickel Mine Trail Safety and Signage: $3,750
- Oliver Mountain OHV Park: $1,762
The next intake of applications to the Off-Road Vehicle (ORV) Trail Fund will begin in early 2019, with at least $150,000 available to fund applicants.
Representatives from the Ministry of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development, the British Columbia Snowmobile Federation, British Columbia Off-road Motorcycle Association and ATVBC evaluated 28 applications before making the final decisions.
Established in 2017, the ORV Trail Fund is funded from a portion of registration fees collected under the Off Road Vehicle Act by ICBC. The fund is administered by the ministry’s Recreation Sites and Trails Branch.
- About 10,000 kilometres of ORV trails are managed by the Recreation Sites and Trails Branch, in partnership with community-based ORV groups around the province.
- There are significant ORV riding opportunities on the land base, including approximately 600,000 kilometres of resource roads and managed riding areas.
- For more information about the ORV Trail Fund, visit: gov.bc.ca/ORVFund.
- For more information about the Off Road Vehicle Act, or registering an ORV, visit: gov.bc.ca/gov/content/industry/natural-resource-use/land-use/crown-land/crown-land-uses/off-road-vehicles
A backgrounder follows.