British Columbia music companies are getting support to enhance business practices, implement new technology and create new jobs, thanks to the Province’s Amplify BC Music Company Development program.
“Our government is committed to helping British Columbia’s dynamic music industry continue to grow and thrive,” said Lisa Beare, Minister of Tourism Arts and Culture. “This innovative grant program will give B.C.-based companies the support they need to take their businesses to the next level.”
Administered by Creative BC on behalf of government, the program has provided over $900,000 in grants to help 28 British Columbia music companies expand and diversify their activities. The grants range from $5,000 to $75,000 and fund 50% of projects such as upgrading studios, purchasing record-pressing equipment and developing special software.
“The Music Company Development program is designed to encourage entrepreneurship and solid business strategy in an increasingly competitive global context,” said Prem Gill, CEO of Creative BC. “We are excited to watch recipients of the fund leverage this support to innovate by improving efficiencies, building capacity and adapting to evolving market demands and conditions.”
The grants support a diverse range of companies, including:
- Capsule Studios, a new female-owned recording studio;
- Tickit, a ticketing platform supporting live music events throughout B.C.; and
- Plaid People Management, an artist management company in Smithers.
Amplify BC is a $7.5-million fund designed to help support British Columbia’s music industry, which generates over $690 million each year. The Province established the fund in 2018 after extensive consultations with the music industry.
- British Columbia is the third-largest music centre in Canada, with over 285 music companies, 160 recording studios and more than 200 music festivals.
- Amplify BC has provided grants to support:
- live music events;
- career development for emerging and established artists; and
- industry initiatives, including training, skills development and research.
Amplify BC: www.creativebc.com/programs/amplify-bc
Creative BC: www.creativebc.com/
A backgrounder follows with the full list of grant recipients.