With the completion of new passing lanes, now it is easier to safely pass slower-moving traffic on Highway 5 between Barriere and Little Fort.
This project on the Yellowhead Highway included:
- the construction of a new three-kilometre southbound passing lane; and
- the 2.7-kilometre extension of the northbound passing lane.
This will provide drivers with additional safe passing opportunities and improve traffic flow and capacity through the area near Darfield.
Other safety improvements included realigning Boulder Mountain Road and MacColl Road so they now access Highway 5 at one intersection. The intersection features new left-turn bays on Highway 5 and lighting for additional safety.
People are reminded of the ‘keep right except to pass’ law in the Motor Vehicle Act, which prohibits drivers from using the left lane unless they are:
- overtaking and passing another vehicle;
- moving left to allow traffic to merge;
- preparing for a left-hand turn; or
- passing stopped emergency vehicles, such as police cars or ambulances.
Follow the work of the Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure online: http://www.tranbc.ca