Media Contacts

Ministry of Attorney General

Media Relations
778 678-1572


Facts about co-located tribunals

B.C. Review Board:

The British Columbia Review Board is responsible for protecting public safety while safeguarding the rights and freedoms of people with mental disorders. It has the authority to hold hearings and review orders in cases where people are unfit to stand trial or have received verdicts of being not criminally responsible on account of a mental disorder.

Civil Resolution Tribunal:

People who have small claims cases, strata disputes or minor motor-vehicle injury claims can get their cases resolved through the Civil Resolution Tribunal (CRT). The tribunal provides online legal information, tools and guidance to help people resolve disputes with respondents on their own. If they cannot reach agreement, the CRT has the authority to issue binding decisions that can be enforced in B.C. Supreme Court.

Human Rights Tribunal:

The Human Rights Tribunal hears complaints from people who experience discrimination based on ancestry, family status, gender identity, religion or other areas protected by the Human Rights Code. The tribunal has the authority to evaluate the merits of the complaint and order remedies, such as compensation for lost wages, if warranted.

Mental Health Review Board:

People who have been detained in B.C. hospitals under the Mental Health Act can challenge these decisions at Mental Health Review Board hearings. The board provides patients with fair, timely and independent reviews of the circumstances that led to their loss of liberty. It has the authority to uphold or overturn certification decisions based on evidence presented by patients, their family members and mental health professionals.

Property Assessment Appeal Board:

People who disagree with how B.C. Assessment has classified or assessed their property can appeal the decision at the Property Assessment Appeal Board. If the appeal cannot be settled by agreement, the board members will decide and issue a written decision.

Surface Rights Board:

Most British Columbians do not own the rights to resources, such as natural gas, that are under their land. If their properties are damaged by companies seeking to develop these resources, the owners can take their complaints to the Surface Rights Board. It has the authority to resolve disputes under the Petroleum and Natural Gas Act, Mining Right of Way Act, Mineral Tenure Act, Geothermal Act and Coal Act.