The Government of British Columbia is providing up to $100,000 to help fund urban deer management projects under the 2019-20 Provincial Urban Deer Cost-share Program.
Local governments and First Nations communities involved in operational or research projects for urban deer population control are invited to submit a funding application on or before Oct. 30, 2019. Proposals submitted after this date will not be considered.
A copy of the 2019-20 Urban Deer Cost-share Program application guide is available at: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content?id=C95F68F161194283B6256A87A19278EA
Eligible proposals will be evaluated by members of the Provincial Urban Deer Advisory Committee. Final funding decisions are anticipated to be completed in November. The committee includes representatives from the Province, local governments, the Union of BC Municipalities and the British Columbia Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.
The Provincial Urban Deer Cost-Share Program will fund priority projects that:
- address human-deer conflict in areas where traditional deer management techniques are not appropriate;
- are consistent with objectives that have been developed through a community-based planning process;
- have a resolution of support from the local government’s council or board or Indian Band’s/First Nation’s Chief and Council;
- are compliant with all applicable laws and bylaws and adequately manage all human safety, environmental and animal welfare risks;
- are in accordance with a permit issued under the Wildlife Act, or any other statute;
- are technically sound, feasible and commit to reporting;
- are scientifically rigorous, if a research project; and
- provide matching funds (e.g., from the local government, First Nation or any partners).
- There are about 135,000 mule deer, 128,000 black-tail deer and more than 100,000 white-tail deer in B.C.
- The Province authorizes municipalities to manage urban deer and supports them by providing technical advice, regulatory authority, necessary permits, specialized equipment and other management tools.