Six B.C. art organizations are receiving support through the International Presence program that will showcase B.C. artists and performers globally.
“B.C.’s artists are incredibly talented and passionate and we want to support their growth and visibility on the international stage,” said Lisa Beare, Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture. “Expanding our province’s global presence in the creative economy is making life better for B.C. artists and helping to build a strong, thriving arts sector that benefits everyone in B.C.”
International Presence project grants are aimed at strengthening global understanding and appreciation of British Columbia’s arts, culture, creativity and innovation. B.C. artists are provided with funding to support opportunities to enhance global exposure and develop network-building relationships with industry representatives from around the world.
These grants are awarded under three main criteria:
- Arts promotion and representation: projects that expose participants to new markets and relationship-building opportunities.
- Incoming presenters and curators: projects that bring international presenters and curators to the province to increase their exposure to B.C. artists.
- Artistic and cultural exchange: projects that result in cultural and artistic exchange, or unique collaborative opportunities.
“As an international festival, we are incredibly grateful to be receiving this grant funding,” said Joyce Rosario, interim artistic director, PuSh International Performing Arts Festival. “This support is instrumental in building our capacity to spotlight PuSh on the global stage and to bring attention to B.C.’s impressive pool of talented artists to the rest of the country and world.”
Funded projects in 2018-19 will benefit over 90 B.C. artists and organizations. These projects will support B.C.’s presence at 31 international events and bring approximately 85 presenters and curators to B.C.
- Grants totalling $350,000 per year are administered through the Arts Legacy Fund for the International Presence program.
- The International Presence program supports growth in B.C.’s creative sector with a strategic focus on:
- leveraging talent and creative clusters;
- accessing new markets;
- maximizing investment; and
- enriching communities.
International Presence program: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/sports-culture/arts-culture/creative-economy/international-presence-creative-economy
To read the backgrounder, visit: https://news.gov.bc.ca/files/Backgrounder_Grants_support_international_opportunities_for_BC_artists.pdf