Commuters now have a safer, more reliable route with completion of seismic work on the two-lane southbound truss bridge in Campbell River.
The bridge, built in 1952, links the City of Campbell River with the North Island Highway (Highway 19).
The $2.9-million project included installing new seismic bearings, replacing deck joints, recoating structural components and repairing structural steel and concrete.
In 1998, the bridge was converted to a one-way southbound-only crossing after the adjacent Tamarac Street bridge opened to carry northbound vehicles.
The bridge now meets modern seismic standards in order to be prepared for a one in 2,000-year earthquake.