The Chilcotin River and associated tributaries have experienced a one-in-200-year flood event, following more than 90 millimetres of rainfall in the past few days.
As a result, there are closures on the following roads southwest of Williams Lake:
- Witte Road, 65 kilometres south of Alexis Creek (repair work underway)
- Farwell Canyon Road at the 54-kilometre mark
- Taseko Lake Road at Stone Reserve
- Sky Ranch Road at Farwell Canyon Road
- Newton Whitewater at Siwash Bridge
- Word Creek Road at Gaspard Bridge
Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure staff and the maintenance contractor, Dawson Road Maintenance, are monitoring water levels. Once the water recedes, they will assess the damage and prepare for any work needed to reopen these roads. This will include mobilizing the necessary road equipment in preparation for the cleanup. Where safe and feasible, work to repair these roads is underway.
While the affected roads have low traffic volumes, they provide important access for isolated residents and camps. Ministry staff are in touch with the Cariboo Regional District and Emergency Management BC to ensure residents and local First Nations are aware of the closures.
Motorists are reminded to check the status of road closures online: www.DriveBC.ca