More people working in B.C.'s TV and streaming industry will soon have help getting projects off the ground through Access 2020, an innovative new partnership.
Through this pilot program, B.C.-based producers will be eligible for up to $30,000 to support early-stage development of children’s and scripted drama projects.
The program is designed to make it easier for producers to access funding, as it does not require the secured support of a broadcaster. Eligible activities include research, script development and hiring a scriptwriter, as well as travel to pitch or market a project.
“B.C. producers play a key role in our thriving TV sector, and we want to help them get more projects off the ground,” said Lisa Beare, Minister of Tourism, Arts and Culture. “This new Creative BC program leverages federal funding to give our B.C.-based producers more flexibility and more opportunities when developing projects.”
Access 2020 is a $400,000 partnership between Creative BC, the Canada Media Fund (CMF) and the Canadian Media Producers Association – BC Producers Branch (CMPA-BC). This is the first time CMF has partnered with a provincial funding body and CMPA, recognizing the strength and reputation of B.C.’s industry.
Access 2020 is part of Reel Focus BC, which is Creative BC’s suite of programs that support the domestic motion picture industry. Submissions for Access 2020 are open now and will be accepted until March 11, 2020.
Prem Gill, chief executive officer, Creative BC –
“This is an exciting partnership that reflects commitment to the success of B.C.-based production companies. With this pilot program, we’re uniting to design new collaborations that bring federal support to the province for the domestic sector.”
Valerie Creighton, president and chief executive officer, Canada Media Fund –
“The Canada Media Fund is committed to supporting the B.C. production community. There is an enormous wealth of talent and know-how in this province, and this program will assist B.C. storytellers to thrive in the global, borderless marketplace. We’re thrilled to partner with Creative BC and CMPA-BC on this initiative and look forward to seeing the projects we will support eventually go into production.”
Liz Shorten, chief operating officer, Canadian Media Producers Association – BC Producers Branch –
“Leveraging support of intellectual property development in B.C. is a key part of ensuring a strong, independent production sector, and CMPA-BC is pleased to partner on this pilot initiative.”
- Creative BC is British Columbia’s lead agency for creative-sector funding and development in the province.
- The creative sector supports more than 108,900 workers throughout the province and generates $6.2 billion in economic contribution.
- CMF fosters, develops, finances and promotes the production of Canadian content for all audiovisual media platforms.
- CMPA-BC is the country’s leading member-based advocacy organization for independent producers. The B.C. branch works on behalf of British Columbia production companies.
- In November 2019, Creative BC launched an $800,000 partnership with Rogers Group of Funds to support B.C. documentary and factual producers over two years.
- In total, Reel Focus BC provides $2.5 million each year to support B.C.’s domestic motion picture industry.
To learn more or apply, visit: https://www.creativebc.com/programs/domestic-motion-picture/reel-focus-bc