Emil Anderson Maintenance is assuming highway maintenance for Service Area 20, the Robson area, located in north-central British Columbia at the crossroads of the Trans-Canada/Yellowhead Highway 16 and the Yellowhead Highway 5.
This highway maintenance contract was awarded following a request for proposals that was posted to BC Bid from Feb. 9 to April 7, 2021. It comes into effect Sept. 1, 2021, and has a standard term of 10 years with an option for a three-year extension.
Emil Anderson Maintenance is also the current highway maintenance contractor for Service Area 7 - Fraser Valley, and Service Area 26 – Skeena.
The Ministry of Transportation and Infrastructure’s maintenance contracts for all service areas require high standards and a proactive approach when a severe weather event occurs, including:
- frequent communication with the public about rapidly changing road conditions during severe weather events and other incidents affecting travel on B.C. roads,
- returning Class A highways to bare pavement within 24 hours of a winter weather event, at -9 C or warmer,
- patrols every 90 minutes on a Class A highway during a winter storm, and
- patrols every four hours when a weather event is forecast.
The ministry is working closely with all private contractors and WorkSafeBC to ensure health and safety are maintained for all workers throughout the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Private contractors maintain nearly 47,000 kilometres of road and 2,800 bridges in some of the most challenging terrain in Canada.
- Crews apply 750,000 tonnes of winter abrasives and 100,000 tonnes of salt to over 1.2 million kilometres of highways annually throughout B.C.
- The value of these 28 highway maintenance agreements is approximately $420 million annually.
For more information on Service Area 20, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/driving-and-transportation/transportation-infrastructure/highway-bridge-maintenance/highway-maintenance/boundary-maps/sa20_boundary_map_20190110.pdf
For more information on the ministry's highway maintenance contracts, visit: https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/transportation-infrastructure/contracting-to-transportation/highway-bridge-maintenance/highway-maintenance/contacts
For the most up-to-date highway travel information, visit @DriveBC on Twitter.