As thousands of children headed back to school, the Vancouver Police, along with the Ministry of Education, City of Vancouver, Vancouver School Board and ICBC reminded motorists to slow down and pay attention.
Tips for drivers:
- Slow down! When school is in session, a 30-km/h school zone speed limit is in effect from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. every school day, unless otherwise posted.
- Plan ahead and be alert. Driving routes with less traffic in the summer may now face congestions, so give yourself extra time to get to your destination.
- Always yield to pedestrians (it’s the law).
- When dropping off children in a school zone, stop and allow them to exit onto the sidewalk side of the car. Never allow a child to cross mid-block.
- If a vehicle is stopped in front of you or in the lane next to you, they may be yielding for a pedestrian so be prepared to stop.