Minister of Social Development Stephanie Cadieux spoke with the Community Living British Columbia (CLBC) board chair, who agreed to end the variable pay compensation system, which provides incentive plan performance bonuses at CLBC.
Audio of the press conference: http://snd.sc/no4Vji
In a people-first organization like CLBC, an incentive plan performance based on targets and measures is, quite simply, not appropriate. The CLBC board had been looking into making a change, so when Minister Cadieux requested the variable compensation program be terminated as quickly as possible, the chair promised to raise the issue with the board as a priority matter.
Ending CLBC's variable pay compensation system is another indication of government's commitment to ensuring that CLBC is providing the best possible services and supports to the individuals and families that it serves
Over the past weeks a number of changes have been made to improve the governance and operations at CLBC. These include:
- The appointment of a new Minister of Social Development, Stephanie Cadieux.
- The appointment of an interim CEO, Doug Woollard.
- In September, the creation of a Deputy Minister Working Group to examine how individuals with developmental disabilities and their families are supported by government ministries and how CLBC assesses and prioritizes needs.
- In October, a dedicated internal audit team began meeting with CLBC to report on a number of areas related to the service demand, performance management and cost analysis for CLBC. This is the same audit team that completed the recent BC Hydro audit.
- This week, a request by Minister Cadieux for an interim update from the Board of CLBC for their vision for the organization and how they expect to achieve this vision. Due date is Nov. 1st, 2011.
- And, a Client Support Team has been established to work with clients and families who do not feel that their service requests have been satisfactorily met by CLBC.
- The termination of the CLBC variable pay compensation system.
Ministry of Social Development